Thursday, March 31, 2011

Three Years Older than God

The last time I went to the nursing home, on my way to find my mother in the dining room, I stopped to visit Juanita.  It went like this:

Me:  Juanita, what are you doing in bed?
Juanita:  Oh I’m very, very sick.
Me: I’m so sorry, Juanita.
J:  I’ll be better the day after tomorrow.
Me:  OK today is Monday, so Wednesday you’ll be better?
J:  Is it Monday?
Me: Yes.
J:  Yes, the day after tomorrow, I’ll be better.
Me:  Well good, then I won’t worry about you.
J:  Well that’s very sweet, thank you for visiting me, I love you.
Me:  That’s the 2nd time someone has told me they love me since I walked in the door a couple of minutes ago.
J:  Well, that’s not surprising, you are a lovely, lovable person.
Me:  Thank you, Juanita.
J:  What’s your name?  You can’t expect me to remember, I’m three years older than God, and I can’t remember anything anymore.
Me:  It’s Ruth.
J:  (getting angry) What?
Me:  (louder)  RUTH
J:  WHAT?
Me:  RUTH
J:  (clawing at me)  Get out of here, if you won’t tell me your name, just GET OUT!!
Me: (calmly) I’m trying to tell you my name, it’s Ruth.
J:  GET OUT if you won’t tell me your name!!
Me:  (waiting, wondering what she wants)
J:  WHAT IS YOUR LAST NAME?!
Me:  Oh, that’s what you want – Ruth Kalter.
J:  (all calm and nice again)  Ruth Kalter, well thank you for visiting, Ruth Kalter.  You won’t forget that now, will you?
Me:  (laughing)  No Juanita, you really taught me something today that I won’t forget!
J:  (sweetly) Thank you for stopping by.
Me:  You’re welcome, I’ll come see you again.  I’m going to go find my mother now.

It's always an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! It is an adventure. That is so "Juanita." She hates being hard of hearing.

    ReplyDelete